Thursday, October 2, 2008

Two memes: one idea - the Rickroll cake!

Instructables.com is a cool site where people share their ideas and instructions for making crafts, artworks, and other fun things (like inverted bookshelves and dyed pasta).

One of the contributes to the site came up with an amazing idea.

She wrote "Every year I make a birthday cake for my wonderfully geeky boyfriend. The past two years I made him a Cthulhu themed cake, so this year it was time for something different. His birthday fell on D&D night, so the whole geek crew would be gathered together. The crew has been bitten by the Rick Astley bug, and so it seemed fitting that I should Rickroll them all."

She created a fake cake - made to look like the Portal 'Cake is a lie' Cake. And of course, in this case, the cake really was a lie - it was actually made out of an old hatbox. Under the fake cake is the real cake... in all it's Rickrolling glory.

She described the reveal, when she yanked the fake hat-box cake off:"They all looked horrified as I seemed to destroy the cake. Then the wave of recognition washed over all their faces as they realized that the cake had been a lie and they had just been Rickrolled... by a cake."




Of course, a great idea like this one is sure to spread. This journalist from the Miami New Times writes about how he Rickrolled his office co-worker as well.

1 comment:

Tamara said...

oh my gosh! That is hilarious. I wish I knew someone that would actually get the joke so I could try this one!